Here’s how to download a copy of everything Facebook knows about you
- Visit Facebook’s website and log into your account.
- Tap the arrow on the top-right of the page and select “Settings.”
- On the left side of the screen, select “Your Facebook Information.” It’s third down from the top.
- Select “Download Your Information.”
You’ll see a screen that lets you download a copy of everything you’ve ever posted to Facebook: photos, videos, comments, likes and reactions, friends, people and businesses you follow, messages you’ve sent and received, groups you belong to, events and parties you’ve attended or received invites to, a copy of your profile information, your check-ins and more.
Make sure you check the box next to each item so that you’ve selected everything.
That’s it. Facebook will then grab a copy of everything you’ve asked for and will send you a link to download the file to your email address. It might take a couple of days to get the full file, so be patient.
HOW TO DELETE YOUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT
If you want to delete your Facebook account entirely, you can do that.
- Just visit this link: https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account.
- Then, select “Delete Account.”
- You’ll have to enter your password one more time to confirm that it’s you.
Once you delete your account, everything you’ve posted “will be permanently deleted,” according to Facebook, and you won’t be able to get it back. That’s why you should download everything first. Also, you won’t be able to use Facebook login if you’ve set it up for Spotify or other apps that let you use your Facebook username and password to log in.
If you want to save all of that and temporarily deactivate your account, you can do that, too.