Techhurry is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Did you take a screenshot on Steam while gaming? Now the question is where does Steam save the screenshots? Can’t you find where the screenshot has been saved? Well, in this guide I will tell you where the Steam screenshot folder is located on your PC.
In any Steam game, you can click on a hot key (the default is F12) to take a screenshot of the current game screen. You can post this screenshot on your Steam profile or upload it to other social media forums. However, sometimes you may face the problem of not being able to locate the images taken. There are two ways to access these images; one is to access them through the steam screenshot manager and the other is to access them through storage on the hard drive.
Brief details about Steam
Steam is widely known as a digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corp. It allows you to buy and play several video games in multiplayer mode and even more. Many games use Steam Overlay, a function that supports game functions connected to Steam.
The overlay is understood as an in-game interface that gives access to the features of the Steam Community during game sessions. Overlay is generally used for in-game purchases (for example, items), chat access, invitations from friends and groups, screenshot, commercial and market functions, and even more.
How To Access The Steam Screenshot Folder?
Method #1: Steam Screenshot Manager
The fastest way to access and manage Steam Screenshots is Steam Screenshot Manager. You can use your steam client to view all the screenshots taken in-game using the Screenshot manager.
- Start Steam, then go to View> Screenshots. This starts Screenshot Manager.
- Select a screenshot and click Show on disk.
The Screenshot Manager can be used to load or delete screenshots. In addition, you can add subtitles to the images. If you are looking for an answer on how to download Steam screenshots, access the folder according to the instructions above, which contains all the photos. Then use the images as you wish.
Method #2: Search for Steam Screenshots folder on disk
Each user has their own screen capture folder, in which all the screenshots taken in the game are saved. This folder is located where Steam is currently installed. The default location is on local disk C. By accessing the Steam screenshot folder on your hard drive, you can see the screenshots of the game.
Now, let’s take a look at the detailed steps.
- Open Windows File Explorer or This PC on your computer.
- Follow the path below to open the Steam screenshots. You need to change the <yourSteamID> and <app – ID> to your own.
C:\ Program files (x86) \Steam\userdata\<yourSteamID>\760\remote\<app – ID>\screenshots.
Now, keep in mind that in the previous location path you must enter individual values that are unique to you as a user. Therefore, you must enter your Steam ID and application ID individually.
The easiest way to find SteamID
In this particular case, the fastest way to find the ID is to see the source of your profile page through a browser. We will demonstrate a simple way to do it through the Chrome browser.
- First, log in to your account through the official Steam Community page.
- Now, hover over the name of your account and go to Profile.
- Right-click anywhere on the page and choose View Page Source.
- Press Ctrl + F at the same time to start the search. Type accountid
- You will see a line as shown in the image below. Copy the set of digits that are your Steam ID.
In case you need your Steam64 ID, follow the steps taken to access it:
- Open the Steam client. Go to View> Settings.
- Look for an option called Show Steam URL when available and make sure it is checked;
- Click OK to save and when a pop-up window appears, click Restart Steam.
- Once the software restarts, move the mouse over your username. Then click on Profile.
- Now, look at the URL bar. The set of digits after the profile / is your Steam64 ID.
To find the application ID, check the Steam Database, which shows the IDs of each game.
How to take a screenshot while playing?
To take a screenshot while playing, just press the default F12 key combination (default). By pressing the F12 key, you can take a screenshot while playing. Now, you can post it on the steam community or on social networks.
How to save screenshots with Steam?
When you press the F12 key, it will take the screenshot and save it automatically to your PC. The new Screenshot Manager system allows you to upload your screenshot while gaming. To customize the shortcut key of the screenshot, you must visit the game section of the Steam configuration.
How to change the location of the Steam screenshot folder
If you want to change the location of the Steam screenshot folder, follow the steps below.
- Open Steam Software >> then click on “View” >> then “Settings”
- After that, a new window will open and click “In the game”
- You will now see a “Screen capture folder” option below the screen capture shortcut key option.
- Click on “Screen capture folder” and select or create a new folder where you want to save, then click on “Select” and finally click on “OK”. That’s…
Steam overlay not opening
Now reaching the stage where the main problem occurs. Top players complain that they cannot open their Steam Overlay. Well, for this case, let me clarify by saying that the Overlay interface will not open by pressing its default shortcuts (Shift + Tab) if it is changed by mistake.
To access correctly, the first thing you must do is make sure that the Overlay is enabled and that your default keys are correct. Detailed instructions are provided below.
The overlay is a support component of the game you are playing. It will close automatically as soon as your system faces a heavy load.
Make sure that your system is in good condition by updating all the main units, limiting the number of background programs that run during the game and updating your operating system to its latest version.
Follow these steps:
- Open the system client and
- Go to Steam> Settings / Preferences> tab in the game. Check the box next to Enable system overlay while in the game.
Another process is, right-click on the game on your computer> Properties (in the general tab). Check the box next to Enable system overlay while in the game.
We all know that gamers are very creative by nature. The Steam Screenshot feature allows you to remember your game days full of art and keep them appreciated in your closets. If you still have questions related to how to find the Steam screenshot folder or if you have any problem finding the folder, let me know.